First Afghan dynasty of India.
Also known as Pathans sultans
Bahlul Lodi (1451 – 1488)
- One of the Afghan sardars who established himself in Punjab after invasion of Timur
- Founded of Lodhi dynasty.
- He tried to restore the glory of Delhi by conquering territories around Delhi.
- Extending his authority over Jaunpur, Rewail, Itawah, Mewar, Sambhal, Gwalior etc.
Though he was himself illiterate, he extended his patronage to art and learning.
Sikandar Lodi (1488 – 1517)
Real name was Nizam Khan.
In 1504, he founded the city of Agra and made it his capital.
Set up an efficient spying system and introduced the system of auditing of accounts.
Took care of department of Justice and department of agriculture.
He was a poet himself and wrote verses in Persian under the pen-name of Gulrukhi.
He also repaired Qutab Minar.
- He was a fanatical Muslim and he broke the sacred images of the Jwalamukhi Temple at Naga Kot and ordered the temples of Mathura to be destroyed.
- Introduced the Gaz-i-Sikandari (Sikandar’s yard) of 32 digits for measuring cultivated fields.
Staunch Sunni and a Muslim fanatic & lacked religious tolerance.
Last king of Lodhi dynasty & the last Sultan of Delhi
- At last Daulat Kan Lodhi, the governor of Punab invited Babur to overthrow Ibrahim Lodhi. Babur accepted the offer and inflicated a crushing defeat on Ibrahim Lodhi .
Defeated & killed by Babur in the first battle of Panipat in 1526.
- He was the only Sultan who had killed in battle.
Causes of Decline of Delhi Sultnate :
- Defective military organization
- Degeneration of Delhi Sultans
- Deposit and military type of government which did not have the confidence of the people
- Financial crisis
- Greed and unfitness of nobles
- Number of slaves increased to 1,80,000 in Firoz Tughlaq’s time which was a burden on the treasury
- Enormousness of empire and poor means of communication
- War of succession as there was no fixed law of it
- Invasion of Timur and Babur.