Khilji Dynasty (1290-1320)
- Khiljis or Khaljis, wrongly believed to be Afghans, were actually Turks.
- The term Khilji means “swordsman” in Turkic languages.
Jallaluddin Firuz Khalji (1290 – 1296)
- Founder of Khilji dynasty.
- He followed gentle and generous policies & ruled for 6 years.
- He was killed by his nephew Alauddin Khilji.
Alauddin Khilji (1296-1316)
- First Turkish Sultan of Delhi who separated religion from politics.
- He annexed Gujarat (1298), Ranthambhor (1301), Mewar (1303), Malwa (1305), Jalor (1311).
- In Deccan, Aluddin’s army led by Malik Kafur defeated Ram Chandra, Pratap Rudradeva, Vir ballal III & Vir Pandya.
- Most important experiment undertaken by the Alauddin was the attempt to control the markets.
- Attack of the religious endowments and free grants of lands
- Creation of new department viz Diwan-i-Mustakhraj to enquire into the revenue areas & to collect them
- Establishment of separate markets for food grains cloth, horses, fruits etc
- Introduction of Dagh or branding of horses and Chehra
- Nobles should not intermarry without his permission.
- Prohibition on use of wine in Delhi.
- Reorganized the Spy system.
- Seized the properties of Nobles classes.
- Abolition of Iqtas of royal troopers and the payment of their salaries in crash.
- Introduced the first permanent standing army of India.
- Regular master of the army.
He was an Indian eunuch and slave who became a general in the army of Alauddin Khilji.
He was called Hazar- Dinari because he was purchased for 1,000 Dinars by Nusrat Khan
In 1297, he was purchased for 1,000 Dinars by Nusrat Khan.
His invasion of Pandya was the farthest south that any Muslim invasion would ever reach in India.
After the death of Alauddin he placed, Kafur killed all the princes of royal blood who had any claim to the throne.
Mubarak Shah (1316 – 1320)
Son of Alauddin, escaped from the eyes of Malik Kafur.
After the death of Kafur he became the king.
After seating on the throne, he canceled all harsh regulations started by his father.
Nasiruddin Khusro Shah (1320)
He killed Mubarak Shah and taken the throne.
He was defeated and killed by Ghazi Malik.
The 30 years rule of Khilji dynasty came to an end.
Amir Khusro (1253 – 1325)
Founder of both Hindustani classical music and Qawwali.
Associated with royal courts of more than 7 rulers of Delhi Sultanate.
Created the fusion of Indian Arabic and Persian music.
He invented tabla and sitar and modified veena.
He was given the title Totha-i-Hind (parrot of India).