- Founded in December 28, 1885 at the Gokuldas Tejpal Sanskrit College, Bombay.
- Founded by A.O. Hume a retired Civil Servant.
- Only 72 delegates participated in the first session.
- W.C. Banerjee was the first president of INC.
- The term ‘congress’ (assembly of the people) was taken from the America & suggested Dadabai Nauroji.
- Earlier name was Indian National Union.
- Badruddin Tyabji first Muslim president of INC.
- A.O. Hume was the General Secretary till 1892.
- In Second Session was attended by 436 delegates & there were 2000 delegates in 1889.
- The British committee of INC was founded in 1889.
- George Yule was the first foreigner to become the President of INC. (1888, Allahabad)
- Sarojini Naidu was the first woman to become the president of INC (1925 Kanpur)
- The term Swaraj was first used in the Calcutta session in1906.
- First Joint session of Congress & Muslim League was held at Lucknow
- Vande Mataram was sung in1896, Calcutta session.
National movement can be divide 3 stages:
3.Gandhian phase (1919-1947)
Aurobindo Ghosh called INC a ‘‘begging institute’’
Bibin Chandra Pal viewed ‘‘INC playing with bubble’’.
Lord Dufferin criticized INC as “Microscopic minorty”
Tilak, said ‘‘INC should distinguish between begging & claiming right’’ Tilak said ‘‘Rights are not begged they are claimed’’.
Indian National Congress meetings
|Year||Name of the President||Venue|
|1889||Sir William Wedderburn||Bombay|
|1891||P. Ananda Charlu||Nagpur|
|1892||W. C. Bannerjee||Allahabad|
|1895||S. N. Bannerjee||Poona|
|1896||Rahimtull M. Sayani||Calcutta|
|1897||C. Sankaran Nair||Amravati|
|1898||Anand Mohan Bose||Madras|
|1899||R. C. Dutt||Lucknow|
|1900||N. G. Chandavarkar||Lahore|
|1901||D. E. Wacha||Calcutta|
|1902||Hasan Imam S. N. Banerjee||Ahmedabad|
|1903||Lal Mohan Ghose||Madras|
|1904||Sir Henry Cotton||Bombay|
|1905||G. K. Gokhale||Benares|
|1907||Dr. Rash Bihari Ghosh (Suspended)||Surat|
|1908||Dr. Rash Bihar Ghosh||Madras|
|1909||Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya||Lahore|
|1910||Sir William Webberburn||Allahabad|
|1911||Pt. B. N. Dhar||Calcutta|
|1912||R. N. Modholkar||Bankipore|
|1913||Nawab Syed Md. Bahadur||Karachi|
|1915||Sir Satender Prasad Sinha||Bombay|
|1916||Ambika Charan Majumdar||Lucknow|
|1917||Mrs. Annie Besant||Calcutta|
|1918||Pt. Madan Mohan Malviya||Delhi|
|1920||Lala Lajpat Rai (suspended) Calcutta C.Vijayraghavachariar||Nagpur(annual)|
|1921||C. R. Das||Gaya|
|1923||Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad (Suspended) Maulana Mahammad Ali||Kakinad (Annual)|
|1925||Mrs. Sarojini Naidu||Cawnpore|
|1926||S. Sarojini Lyengar||Guwahati|
|1927||Dr. M. A. Ansari||Madras|
|1928||Pt. Motilal Nehru||Calcutta|
|1930||(No session) but Independence Day Pledge was adopted on 26th Jan, 1930.|
|1932||R. Amritlal (session was banned)||………..|
|1933||Mrs. J. M. Sen Gupta (session was banned)||Calcutta|
|1938||S. C. Bose||Haripura|
|1939||S. C. Bose (Re elected for 1939)||……..|
|1940||Maulana Abdul Kalam Azad||Ramgarh|
|1941-45||(No session held, due to arrests of Prominent leaders)||………|
|1946||Acharya J. B. Kripalani||Meerut|
|1948||B. Pattabhi Sitaramayya||Jaipur|