- Indian Dance is of ‘Divine origin’ i.e it was a ritual form of worship at the temlples.
- Principles of Indian classical dance is derived from “Natya Shastra” of Bharat Muni.
- Natya includes dance, drama & music.
- Bharat Muni traces its origin from Brahma & Brahma created 5th veda known as ‘Natya veda.’
1.’Pathya’ (words) taken from Rigveda
2.’Abinaya’ (gestures) from Yajurveda
3.’Geet’ (music) from Samaveda
4.’Rasa’ (Emotions) from Arthavanaveda
- Nataraja represents destruction, creation, preservation, release from bondage & the cycle of Life & Death.
- Dance is considered to be a complete art because it enfolds in its range, other art forms too – music, sculpture, poetry & drama.
- In every dance, the presence of mudra & rasa is must.
- 108 Mudras & 9 Rasas are there.
2 basic aspects of dance; Tandava & Lasya.
- Tandava denotes movement on rhythm i.e it emphasis on male characteristics of power, strength & firm aspect.
- Lasya denotes grace, bhava, rasa, & abhinaya which are more feminine.
Nritta vs Natya
- Nritta: consists of dance movement in their basic form.
- Natya: Includes expressions, through eye, hand & facial movements.
- Combination of ‘nritta’ & ‘natya’ becomes “Nritya.”
- Earliest evidence: Bronze dancing girl, Bhimbetka caves, Ajanta & Ellora caves.
- The classical dances are governed by rules of Natya Shastra & based on “Guru – Shisya parampara”
- Sangeet natya Acadamy has given the status of 8 classical dances.