Kalighat paintings – kolkata
- Kalighat painting was a product of the changing urban society of the 19th century calcutta.
- Group of artists evolved a quick method of painting on mill-made paper. Using brush and ink from the lampblack, these artists defined figures of deities, gentry and ordinary people with deft and vigorously flowing lines.
- Romantic depictions of women.
- Satirical paintings lampooning the hypocrisies of the newly rich & the changing roles of men and women after the introduction of education for Women.
Madhubani paintings – mithila, Bihar
- Women (mithila region,bihar) have painted colorful auspicious
- Images on the interior walls of their homes on the occasion of
- Domestic rituals since at least the 14th century.
- This ancient tradition, especially elaborated for marriages,
- Continues today.
- Used to paint the walls of room, known as kohbar ghar in
- Which the newly wedded couple meet for the first time.
Phad scroll paintings – Bhilwada, Rajasthan
- Phad is a painted scroll, which depicts stories of epic dimensions about local deities and legendary heroes.
- Bhopas(local priests) carry these scrolls on their shoulders from village to village for a performance
- Represents the moving shrine of the deity and is an object of worship.
- Most popular & largest phad – local deities devnarayanji and pabuji.
Kalamkari paintings , Andhra pradesh
- Kalamkari is primarily used for the temple decorations.
- Festivals or as wall hangings.
- Stories from the epics ramayana, mahabharata and the puranas
- Are painted as continuous narratives
- Relevant telugu verses explaining the theme are also carried
- Below the artwork.
- Colors are obtained from vegetable and mineral sources.
- Gods are painted blue, Demons & evil characters in red and green.
- A ritualistic design drawn at the threshold of households and temples.
- Drawn everyday at dawn and dusk by women in south india
- Kolam marks festivals, seasons and important events in a woman’s life such as birth, first menstruation and marriage.
kolam is a free-hand drawing with symmetrical and neat geometrical patterns.