Earliest period of architectural development started in 1347 when Allauddin Bahman Shah constructed the Gulbarga Fort & the Jama Masjid at Gulbarga.
- Second phase is represented by the architecture of Bidar initiated by Ahmed Shah (1422-1436), which includes the Bidar Fort, Mahmud Gawan’s Madrassa and the Ali Barid’s Tomb.
- Qutub Shahi and Nizam Shahi dynasties contributed greatly towards the development of the Deccan style of architecture.
- Charminar in 1591 built by Mohammed Quli Qutb Shah.
- Mecca Masjid- started in 1614 by Abdullah Qutub Shah & completed in 1687 by Aurangzeb.
- Golconda Fort in 1525 built by Mohammed Quli Qutb Shah, was an impregnable fort of great strategic importance to most of the rulers.
- Falaknuma Palace in 1870 by Nawab Vikar-Ul-Ulmara, is a rare blend of Italian & Tudor architecture.
Bijapur School (Karnataka)
- Developed during reign of Adilshahi school.
- Gol Gumbaz built by Mohammad Adil Shah, which is largest masonry dome in the world.
- Its underground vaults consist of a square grave chamber and a large single square chamber above the ground
- Large hemispherical dome surmounting it & 7 storied octagonal towers on its corners
- Each of its walls on the outside are divided into 3 recessed arches.
- A 3.4 m wide gallery rests on its interior, known as the whispering gallery, as even a whisper here reverberates as an echo under the dome.