MIND MAPS – A CREATIVE WAY TO NOTE TAKING FOR UPSC – IAS PREP
We all know that “a picture is worth a thousand words”. By representing the information pictorially we can easily remember whatever we read. The two important aspects of the brain’s functioning are association and pictorial representation. Mind Map is one such type of tool that helps us to easy to store and recalling the information.
In this post, Our IASCAT team is going to introduce you to MIND MAP, which will not only help you improve your memory but also help you to be organized in your work. The act of Mind Mapping increases association, imagination, and creativity; so it is the perfect tool to improve memory.
What is mind map ?
Mind map is a creative and impressive means of note taking which is invented by author and educational consultant Tony Buzan. Mind map is a graphical method which offers an overview of a topic and complex information in a visual form, where we start with a central idea and expand outward to more in-depth sub-topics on branches. Each branch holds a key image or key word printed on the line.
A mind map is a diagram used to visually organize information. A mind map is hierarchical and shows relationships among pieces of the whole
Uses of Mind maps:
- By revising the keywords in the mind map, you get all the required information and it saves lot of your time.
- By Using mind maps we can easily take notes during a lecture or while reading.
- summarizing a topic or a chapter you are studying for your exams.
- We can revise the full topic faster and easy which is helpful in last minute preparations.
- Mind maps are more effective than linear note taking methods
- The collection of words and images with colours makes it more memorable and enjoyable to create and review the topic.
|Polity Mind Maps|
|Ancient Indian History Mind maps|
|Medieval Indian History Mind maps|
|Modern Indian History Mind maps|
HOW DO MIND MAPS IMPROVE MEMORY?
The act of mind mapping increases association, imagination, and creativity—so it is the perfect tool to improve memory.
So how exactly do mind maps improve memory? Let’s take a look:
- Mind maps only contain keywords. This means that the information to remember is prompted by short, memorable words with meaning.
- Mind maps promote associations and connections. As we know, association is an important way to improve memory.
- Mind maps use colours and images that stimulate your imagination. Imagination is the key secret to improve memory.